Loading your book onto your Kindle
By cable to a Kindle with black and white screen
- Connect your Kindle to your computer with the USB cable. Your Kindle appears in the same location on your computer that external USB drives appear.
- Windows: Your Kindle will appear in the Computer or My Computer folder.
- Mac: Your Kindle will appear on the desktop.
- Open the Kindle folder, and then open the documents folder.
- Locate the book file on your computer, and then drag and drop it into the ‘documents’ folder on the Kindle.
- Safely eject your Kindle from your computer and the book will appear on the Kindle home screen
Amazon has a little video showing how this is done here (you can skip the first bit as you’re not downloading from the Amazon store)
By cable to a Kindle Fire device
- Connect your Kindle Fire to your computer with the USB cable. Your Kindle appears in the same location on your computer that external USB drives appear.
- Open the Kindle on your computer, then go in to the Internal Storage folder.
- Drag and drop the book from your computer to that folder on the Kindle.
- Safely eject your Kindle from the computer and the book will appear in the Books app.
The above instructions are a condensed version of Amazon’s guide here.
Wirelessly by email
- Go to this page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/mn/dcw/myx.html#/home/settings/payment
- Log in if you aren’t already, then click the Settings tab.
- Scroll down to ‘Approved Personal Document E-mail List’ and make sure your email address is in the list of approved addresses (this is to stop people spamming your Kindle)
- Go back to the top of the page and click the ‘Your devices’ tab
- Click on the picture of your Kindle to see what its own email address is (every Kindle has its own address for this exact purpose)
- Use the address from step 3 (your own email address) to email the file to the address in step 5 (your Kindle’s email address). So long as your Kindle has a wifi connection, it will appear on the home screen (if it doesn’t appear right away, do a sync from the Kindle menu.