6th July 2009
Royal Guernsey Light Infantry Museum opens
The Royal Guernsey Light Infantry Regimental Museum was opened by the Earl and Countess of Wessex (Prince Edward and Sophie) during a two-day visit to Guernsey. The museum tells the story of the Regiment and its members contribution during the First World War. It’s housed in Castle Cornet’s hospital building, which was built in 1746.
The museum tells the story of the Infantry’s roots in the 13th century, through its official founding in 1916, and up to its disbanding in 1919.
The displays include weapons, uniforms and medals from both the RGLI itself and those it fought against, as well as a number of posters and information boards. The boards are supplemented by a graphic version of the content aimed at younger visitors.
Battle of Cambrai
The opening exhibit is a full-size recreation of infantry soldiers in uniform at the 1917 Battle of Cambrai. This was a British attack in northern France aimed at capturing the town of Cambrai with a view to disrupting German supply lines. The supply lines were so important to the opposition that the battle was followed by the biggest German counter offensive until that point in the First World War.
Entry to the museum is included in the price of entry to Castle Cornet.