10th January 1915
Guernsey Police Service appoints its first inspector
Guernsey Police’s first Chief Inspector was appointed at a States Committee meeting on 10 January 1915. The successful candidate was Edwin A Green, who transferred from his post at the London Metropolitan Police to lead the newly-established Guernsey force.
Green’s arrival came at a moment of great change for the States of Guernsey Police Service. The earliest incarnation of the island’s law-keepers had been organised on a parish-by-parish basis but, as the population grew and the island became better connected by roads, it became clear that a unified unformed force was required.
The first official constables were appointed in 1853 but by modern standards the force had still been a rather half-hearted effort. For one thing, there was only four of them. For another, their “uniform”, such as it was, was nothing more than a belt that they wore in addition to their regular clothes.
An organised police force
At the start of the First World War, plans were put in place for a better-organised, more identifiable and extensive force – hence Green’s appointment, alongside a pair of sergeants, two corporals and eleven constables, which is still just a fraction of the number employed by the service today. At the time of writing, its payroll runs to around 150 staff.
The most senior member is no longer called Inspector, as Edwin Green was, but Chief Officer. His or her second in command is the Deputy Chief Officer.